- Home Performance Audit
- Insulation For Existing Homes
- Indoor Air Quality
- Air Sealing
- New Construction & Remodeling
Is Your Home Properly Insulated?
September 21, 2018
Keeping your home as comfortable as possible year round depends heavily on how well insulated it is. Proper insulation keeps the heat outside in the stuffy summertime, and keeps the heat inside during the bitter Wisconsin winter. Is the r-value of your home’s insulation within the recommended levels for Wisconsin’s climate?
- Heating & cooling account for nearly half of your home’s energy usage
- Proper insulation reduces heating & cooling energy usage by an estimated 15%
- Insulation can reduce your total energy bill by 11%
- Insulation can also assist with reduced noise from outside, less pollen, dust and insects (or pests) entering your home, better humidity control, and a lower chance for ice dams on the roof/eves in snowy climates
RECOMMENDED INSULATION LEVELS
*These recommendations are based on climate zone 6
- ATTIC: R49 - R60
- WALLS: R13 - R21
- FLOORS: R25 - R30
- BASEMENT: R11 - R21
WHAT DOES THE PROPER AMOUNT OF INSULATION LOOK LIKE?
If your attic insulation comes to the top of the joist, you probably need more insulation. If the insulation completely covers the joists, you should be ok. But, it is always best to work with a home performance contractor to determine the appropriate solution for your home.
GET YOUR HOME PROPERLY INSULATED
Take the first step towards making your home more comfortable, sustainable, and energy eicient. Contact us to schedule an appointment today!